Anyone can be infected with parasites, but babies are particularly affected by them, and the risk is particularly high in the summer. There are different types of worms, but they all have negative effects on health. Parents need to know what worms are in children - below we will look at the symptoms and treatment of a disease such as helminthiasis.
Types of worms in humans
There are 12, 000 worms on our planet (they are also called helminths). They live in soil, food and animals, while about 200 species can live in the human body. Parasites should always have a host and often choose babies for their habitat. When a child learns about the world, he tastes everything he comes across, so he is constantly at risk.
The most common types of worms in children are nematodes or roundworms. They include:
- Ascariscause ascariasis. The helminths are large and can reach a length of 40 cm. They parasitize in the gastrointestinal tract and small intestine.
- Oysterscause enterobiosis. The worms are small (less than 1 cm long) and whitish-yellow in color. Such helminths live in children in the caecum or small intestine. Their life cycle is up to 4 weeks.
- Cestodes- These are tapeworms that parasitize the intestines and various organs. Helminths cause diseases such as teniosis, echinococcosis, hymenolepiasis, teniarinhosis and diphyllobotriasis.
- Trematodesare flatworms or trematodes. These include feline fluke, paradoxical leukochloride, schistosome. Parasites provoke diseases such as fascioliasis and opisthorchiasis.
Ways of infecting with worms
According to official medical statistics, worms in children under 2 years of age and in preschool children attending educational institutions occur in 80% of cases. These official data were recorded in those babies who underwent laboratory tests. Helminths use all sorts of ways to enter the human body. The most common ways of infection are:
- dirty hands or contact with infected animals;
- poorly washed fruits or vegetables;
- raw water;
- poorly processed fish or meat.
How do we know that a child has worms?
To answer the question of what worms are in children (symptoms and treatment are determined by the type of helminths), you need to know how the infection occurred and in which internal organ the parasites got. Very often they do not manifest themselves in any way, and the disease occurs in a latent form, so the doctor can not always determine their presence. Helminths live in the human body for years and even decades, adapting to the most adverse conditions.
Common signs of worms in children can be as follows:
- nausea in the morning;
- anal itching;
- bruxism - is gnashing of teeth in a dream;
- profuse salivation at night;
- nasal polyps;
- inflammation of the genitals;
- intermittent pain around the navel;
- sheep feces, diarrhea or constipation;
- loss of appetite;
- pale skin.
If you find more than five of these symptoms in your child, then it is worth considering a helminth infestation. Each person can be a carrier of various helminths that parasitize the body and lead to intoxication and serious illness. With the activation of parasites, the symptoms may change. When you suspect worms in children, the symptoms may also appear in external signs:
- "chicks" (rashes) on the thighs or forearms;
- bruises and circles under the eyes;
- early caries;
- lack of body weight;
- brittle nails and hair;
- impaired growth;
- allergic reactions.
Worms in children can affect the nervous system:
- babies become irritable;
- concentration decreases;
- perseverance is lost;
- sleep is disturbed.
What do worms look like in a child's stool?
Very often young parents are interested in the question of how to find worms in a child's stool. In fact, only large worms can be seen in children's feces. The parasites leave the body in clots in which there are only a few individuals. If you see foreign inclusions, then it is better to contact a specialist and take tests to rule out the presence of parasites.
Tests for worms in children
When parents suspect worms in children, the symptoms and treatment depend on the stage of the disease. To determine the diagnosis, you must take the child to a gastroenterologist or pediatrician. The doctor conducts an initial examination and prescribes an examination that includes:
- enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay - helps to identify the type of worm and its presence, for which blood is taken from the child from a vein on an empty stomach;
- blood test for helminths in a child - the main indicators are: the number of eosinophils, the presence of anemia and color indicator;
- scraping, smear for enterobiosis - taken from the anus;
- general stool analysis for eggs and dysbacteriosis is performed in 3 stages, as some species of worms do not lay eggs regularly;
- computed tomography, radiography or ultrasound - are performed to detect the presence of worms in the human body.
The child has worms - what to do?
After confirming the diagnosis, the doctor prescribes treatment of worms in children, drugs should be strictly coordinated with the doctor), talk about folk methods and products that should be used for rapid recovery. Parents should be aware that it is impossible to give medicines to babies alone, because this can lead to irreversible consequences and thus worsen the child's condition.
If you do not know how to get rid of worms in children, then contact a specialist who will write you several stages of therapy. They include:
- body preparation - in this case sorbents and antihistamines are prescribed;
- anthelmintic therapy - traditional drugs for parasites, which can be in the form of tablets, suppositories or suspensions;
- body cleansing - enemas, choleretic drugs or sorbents.
Treatment of worms in children is carried out at home, if there are no complications in the form of infectious lesions. The child must follow a special diet at all times. After the first course of therapy the child is examined and examined. If they show the presence of parasites in the body again, then the drugs are prescribed again.
Worm tablets for children
There are currently several medications that help get rid of worms. They are available in tablets and are intended for babies. Consult a specialist before use.
Suspension of worms for children
If your child is still young and does not know how to take pills, then specially designed suspensions are suitable for him.
Folk remedies for the treatment of worms in children
With the help of traditional medicine it is impossible to completely get rid of parasites, but you can increase immunity and speed up healing. Worm medicine for children should be taken with caution and only with a doctor's permission. The most popular products are:
- pumpkin seeds;
- carrot juice;
- vegetable oil;
- infusions of celandine and wormwood or tansy.
Prevention of worms in children
All parents should know that deworming tablets for children for prevention can be given to create a special microflora in which helminths simply can not exist.
In order not to get infected with parasites, you must:
- Follow the rules of personal hygiene.
- Wash your hands with soap and water after using the toilet and walking.
- Fighting flies.
- Keep pacifiers and toys clean.
- Ironing clothes and linen.
- Work with food carefully.
Depending on the age of the baby there is a difference in the prevention of worms in children, the drugs begin to be given only from 6 months.